When it comes to choosing the right air conditioner for your home, size is everything. But how do you know what size A/C you need?
It all depends on a variety of factors, not just the square footage of your home. Here are some things to keep in mind when determining the best A/C size for your needs.
1. The number of rooms in your home: More rooms mean more space to cool, so you’ll need a larger A/C unit.
2. The layout of your home: An open floor plan will require a different size A/C than a home with smaller, separate rooms.
3. The climate you live in: Here in Frisco, Texas, we generally need a bigger size A/C than someone in a cooler climate.
4. The amount of sunlight your home gets: Homes that get more sunlight will require a larger A/C unit to compensate for the heat.
5. Your insulation: Properly insulated homes will retain cool air better, so you may be able to get away with a smaller A/C.
6. The number of people in your household: More people means more body heat, which will require a larger A/C unit to compensate. Believe it or not, your furry friends give off body heat, too. So if you have lots of pets, even that is a small factor!
7. Your lifestyle: If you entertain often or have lots of visitors, you’ll need a bigger A/C to keep everyone comfortable.
8. The age of your home: Older homes tend to have less insulation, which means you’ll need a bigger A/C unit to compensate.
9. Your windows: Windows that face the sun will let in more heat, so you’ll need a bigger A/C to counterbalance that.
10. The height of your ceilings: Higher ceilings mean more space to cool, so you’ll need a larger A/C unit.
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, to get a truly accurate estimate of the size A/C you need, you’ll need to consult with a professional technician who has access to an official sizing manual, called ACCA’s Manual J. This manual takes into account all of the different variables that can affect A/C size, so you can be sure you’re getting the perfect unit for your home.
Here at Air Repair Pros, we’re more than happy to ensure that your A/C fits your Frisco home and your lifestyle, in every way. Give us a call anytime at 469-333-2474, and we’ll come out to help you now!